Head injury due to fall. Headache, tiredness, falling asleep

I had a fall about 8 weeks ago and cut the back of my head open. I suffered severe headaches for 2 days only and then felt okay again, apart from some pain where it was stitched. However, about 3 weeks ago I started feeling extremely tired, unable to stay awake sometimes. I have actually fell asleep twice in work, despite working in a fairly noisy office. I am 54 years of age.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Hi there,

Though it was just a lacerated wound of the scalp skin, concussion of the brain cannot be ruled out. In concussion, symptoms of headache, confusion, foggy brain and excessive sleep can occur, after an interval of few days following head injury. But these problems go away after a while (few days or, in some cases, few weeks).

You may however, get an MRI of the brain done to exclude any bleeding or structural damage to the brain.

On the other hand, your problems can also be due to other conditions- not associated with head injury- such as, thyroid problem, mental stress/depression and/or anxiety.

It would be worthwhile if you get Thyroid hormonal profile done too.

Consult your treating doctor if you have mental stress/depression. He will evaluate and examine you; order for relevant tests if required; and, prescribe appropriate drugs.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal