Having early periods, severe pain in lower right side. What could be going on ?

I am a 35 year old woman. I have always had normal periods and has always been like clock work.the last 4 hasnt been normal. startin one to too weeks early .this time i am expriencin severepain in the lower right side. its not a period cramp like i would only have when i was fixing to start. it feels sore and very painful. even the color of the is not like i have had before.. its a very bright red color.what could b going on??
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
May 2013
Hi
The possible causes are :
- If there is any possibility of pregnancy, better to rule out ectopic pregnancy once.
-Pelvic inflammatory disease.
-Hormonal imbalance leading to alteration in menstrual flow.
So you once consult gynecologist, get examined and go for ultrasound.
By examination and ultrasound, the possibility of ectopic pregnancy and pelvic infection can be ruled out. Then if the cause is found to be hormonal, you can go for hormonal pills for few months.
This will help in regularization of the cycles.
Meanwhile you can take symptomatic treatment to decrease the pain, spotting etc.
OBGYN Dr. Sree Gouri SR's  Response
May 2013
Hi
The possible causes are :
-Pelvic inflammatory disease.