Have to undergo hysterectomy, prolapse correction, painful periods. Pending mirena whilst, cause irregular period. Pre menopausal, surgery required?

Hi I'm on the hospital wait list for a hysterectomy & mild prolapse correction due to years of painfull heavy periods cramping a lot 4days a month ovulation pain. But I was due to have a mirena whilst on wait list two years, I did not go to get mirena cause I never got a period for 3 months, and 8 months on periods are on/ off 3 months apart the last two since December 2013. My question is should I have this operation now that I'm peri menopausal I think I'm in...I am 51 years do I still need contraception in menopausal years ahead of me and how long does it last what age... Thanks lyn.
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013