Have spotting, missed period. On birth control. What is going on?

I missed 2 birth control pills when I started my new pack and had spottings starting a week later lasting for about a week. Two weeks after the spottings stopped I was expecting my period to start but nothing happened. I just decided to still take the placebo pills and start a new pack of pills on time. Should I start my new pack another time? Should I consult my doctor because I missed my period? Was the spottings consider an early period? Should you get pregnant during spottings?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013