Have sore and painful nipples. Implanon had expired and doctors were unable to find it. Advice?

I have the Implanon implant. It expired in August 2012, but doctors were unable to find it to remove it. For the last month or longer I have had sore nipples . For the last 2 weeks they have been very painful to the slightest touch. My last period ended about 3 weeks ago and usually comes every 2 months. I just took a pregnancy test and it was negative. This makes me worry that it may be something more serious. What could it be?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013