Have liver cancer which is in the final stage. Is there no treatment at all?

My mother has liver cancer. They have said its not treatable. She is on a feeding tube and has another tube to pump her stomach since she can no longer go to the bathroom. They looked for any form of blockage and were not able to find one. They said that her intestines have shut down. The hospital is sending her to a nursing home saying they have done all they could. My dad is too afraid to ask and I have not seen the doctor myself to ask the question but is my mother in the final stages of cancer? Would or could this stage last for months to a year? I know that is hard to say but should we be preparing our father and ourselves for the final days?
Thank you for your help during this time.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013