Have irregular periods. Had Polyp removed and D&C done. Last resort is to Cauterize. Why?

I am 37 years old and didnt start my first period till i was 16. I ve had irregular periods since 18. heavy bleeding for years .. probably till about the age of 28 or 30. then in my 30 s I hit a time where I bleed for about 2 years straight. it was very light and pink in color or sometimes brown but it was everyday. it never had a normal red color nor regular flow. I finally went to the doctor and had tests done at the age of 35 and had a polyp in my uterus removed and a D & C done and they put me on birth control for a year. needless to say I am now 37 and still having irregular periods. brown in color and sometimes go a whole month of seeing its presence or miss a whole month and bleed for 2 months straight. they said once i quit the birth contorl after a year it takes about another year for it to get back to right. well it hasnt!!! what is going on with me????? i have no health insurance and they told me the last resort they would do is cauterize. why?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013