Have hammer toes on both feet. Had surgery. Feels numbness, tingling in left toes. Cause?

I have hammer toes on both feet last February, 2011 , had surgery on two of my tendons on left foot . A few days after surgery, I began to feel numbness and tingling in my left toes it then spread to the ball of my foot. A few months later the right side begin to feel tingling and numbness too in the same places in both feet. It doesn t go away and sometimes, when I m on my feet all day it is excruciating pain. What is causing this and will it get better?
Asked On : Thu, 3 Jan 2013