Have ADHD, problems with concentration. Is it safe to take Adderall on a long term basis?

I am a 26 year old adult female who suffers from ADHD . My parents did not want to medicate me as a child, and even though I made good grades in school I was constantly struggling. After a very hard first semester at college, my doctor told me I should not worry about the stigma attached to medication and prescribed me adderall . It was like night and day. It slowed my thoughts down so I didn t feel so overwhelmed and took away the frustration . I stopped taking medication when I became pregnant with my first daughter and have not since resumed. I now have two children, and although I had hoped my seemingly childish problems with concentration would get better with age, they have not and I find myself in a constant state of frustration. I have tried supplements and natural remedies, and nothing seems to help me feel normal. Is it safe to take medicine like adderall for attention deficit on a long term basis as an adult? I hate feeling like I have to take a pill to have a normal thought process, I feel like I am causing myself a lot undue stress by fighting and pretending like the problem isn t there. I would appreciate advice on this. Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012