Had mouth ulcer, blood test showed low MCV and MCH. Connection between this two?

Hello, I recently took ma mom for a blood check as her mouth ulcer was getting cured inspite of all medicines and gel. As per the blood check up it shows the below results. Wbc count - 6490 Rbc count - 5.4 Haemoglobin - 11.1 Mcv - 68.8 Mch - 20.6 Mchc - 29.9 I notice tat mcv and mch is very low and how is it linked to her mouth sores. what does this mean can someone help me understand this report? Thanks in advance Harry
Asked On : Thu, 20 Dec 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, Mcv means mean corpuscular volume of an RBC, MCH means mean corpuscular hemoglobin and it signifies the hemoglobin content of an RBC while MCHC means mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration and is denoted in percentage. These parameters reflect the iron content of an average RBC and help a physician towards determining the cause of anemia. From the above results it is suggestive that your mother suffers from mild anemia and probabely of iron deficiency type.Your mother's mouth ulcers can be due to iron and vitamin deficiency or could be due to any digestive problems. She will need to have a regular diet rich in proteins fruits and fresh vegetables.Regular bowel movements and relief from acid reflux will help.She can take suppliments of iron and vit B12 tablets. Get her stool examined for ova and cysts and treated for worm infestations if any. Also get her stool checked for occult blood as colonic carcinomas are a major cause of iron deficiency anemia in the elderly besides it being nutritional. A thorough health check is a good option to rule out any occult cause. Take care.