Had diverticulitis in throat, difficulty swallowing, surplus fluid in mouth, loss of appetite and weight loss. Done endoscopy. What is wrong?

My wife is 89 and suffers from diverticula in her throat which makes swallowing very difficult, even her various medicinal pills sometimes get stuck and bring surplus fluid into her mouth. It also affects her ability to breath when this occurs. I believe the condition is called Zenkers diverticulum. She has been advised by her local GP that the operation to cure this is quite severe and that at her age would be risky. She is reluctant to go into hospital but I understand that one day surgery by endoscopy is now becoming more common practice. Is this a possibility please and meantime can you suggest any food supplements that would be easier to swallow as she is slowly losing weight and also her appetite.Thanks.
Worried husband.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013