Had cyatica pain. Doing pelvic thrusts and rolling body ball. What can I expect?

HI, I have had minor left side cyatica pain (usually i noticed it for a day or 2 after a plane ride) It got more severe this summer and I would need to limp a little to get around or sit down for relief. I went to a Chiropractor and had x-rays taken. They gave me some exercises to do, Pelvic thrusts and rolling a body ball with my feet and calves. Stupidly, 2 weeks ago I was playing mens hockey and I went to take a stride and felt the radiating pain down my leg so severe that I immediataly got dressed and went home - I didn t sleep a wink. Went to my primary physician and had an MRI - the results were a left posterolateral formial L4-L5 disc herniation that impinges on left L-4 nerve root . For the last 2 weeks I have been laid up at home taking Vicodin and muscle relaxers. I Ice 3 times a day and have started to do the exercises again. I feel little improvement and can only walk hunched over. Today I am going to the Neurosurgeon for a first appointment - What can I expect? I need to get back on my feet again soon, should I have a shot of some type at this point - what is the shot, a steroid? Is this dangerous at all? Am I on the right path to recovery? Thanks very much. Dan Reed
Asked On : Thu, 26 Jul 2012