HB Level 3.5, Doctors suggest Iron, is there any need of Transfusion ?

Hello My mother is 52 years of age, and has a history of Anemia . We recently conducted some test on her, which was routine, and got to know that her HB Level is 3.5, we went for a test again and it showed Level 3.5. We conducted some other test such as LFT, KFT, ESR , THYROID, TLC and DLC, all test showed normal results. We asked our Family doctor and he suggested we go for IRON Supplements , We also asked for BLood Transfusion, he told there is no need, as body was functioning normally. though we can see weight loss . Please suggest what should be done !!
Asked On : Fri, 15 Jan 2010