Glaucoma suspect. Eye exam shows thinning of optic nerve, blind spot. Treatment?

I have been a glaucoma suspect for more than 5 years. I just had my eye exam and there is thinning of the optic nerve . I also have a blind spot on one eye. My doctor said she will just continue to monitor this as she is not sure that this means I have glaucoma yet. She said that my nerve could just have always been like this. I am 31 years old. I understand glaucoma is difficult to dx and requires monitorring. I also understand that if the optic nerve is damaged it is irreversible. Is there anything else I should be doing to be proactive? If my nerve looks this bad now, does that mean I will have issues when I am older?
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012