Fiance has abnormal sleeping habits. Seems to be protecting me in dreams. REM symptoms?

Dear Sir/Madam, I would really like to get a professional opinion regarding my fiancé’s sleeping habits. I have, on more than a few occasions, awoken in fear as to what my fiancé was doing to me in my sleep. He always says that he is trying to protect me during his dream, and remembers the dream he was having at the time very clearly. On one occasion, I awoke to find him on top of me pinning my arms down. Another night he was trying to drag me to the bottom of the bed, and just last night I woke up to him grabbing my hand and shaking it whilst staring at the clock next to me. Although these may seem like very trivial situations, they do not feel trivial to myself when I am on the receiving end of these dreams. I have read about REM sleep behaviour disorder (RBD) and believe he could fit into this category. We only really drink on the weekend, and I sometimes wonder if his sleep habits are down to the withdrawal on Sunday through to Saturday. However, neither of us drink to such an excess. He is a smoker, and smokes up to 10 cigarettes a day. He doesn’t really exercise, but is not overweight . We eat a reasonably healthy diet , but he does work in a moderately stressful job. He plays video games very rarely-sometimes only twice a month. He usually reads a book 20 minutes before sleeping. We are going to try and get into a relaxing pre-sleeping habit before bed, but my concern is whether or not to ignore the problems. Of course, I am aware that people have caused harm to themselves or others during this disorder. His father, who is 58, also has terrible sleeping habits. I believe there could be a genetic link, but I think I would just like some genuine and honest advice as to whether or not it would be in both of our interests to meet for a consultation, or whether it will just stay harmless. Kind regards, Jennifer Hatcher
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013