Experiencing a dull sharp pain in my lower right abdomen. What does the finding mean?

Hi Samuel,

I am experiencing a dull sharp pain in my lower right abdomen, it has been here for 1 and a half days. the pain is a similar sensation and position as when you are hit in the statistical. but only on the right side, i appear to be visiting the toilet more often to urinate. however this may be due to an increase in water consumption. any comments would be appreciated.

Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013
Hi ! The pain in the right side of lower abdomen could mean many common pathology :
1) With the urinary symptoms, it could be a urinary tract infection or a right ureteric calculi. Go for a routine urine test and an ultrasound KUB to exclude these after getting consulted by your treating physician. However, this could also be due to any recent increase in the water intake as told by you.
2) Next common pathology which comes to mind is a attack of mild sub acute appendicitis. This may be with/without any nausea feeling and initially starting at para umbilical region about which there is no mention. Also appendix can irritate ureter/bladder depending on its position, and give rise to urinary symptoms mentioned by you. One has to give it due importance as leaving a diseased appendix could be hazardous than removing a normal appendix. To exclude this you will have to get clinically examined by a surgeon and also get investigated as advised by him like routine blood tests and may be an ultrasound to exclude other conditions mimicking appendicitis.
3) More common condition is a colitis and for this you can get your stool tested for ova and cyst and get treated accordingly.
4) You have not mentioned to which sex you belong to. In case of females, apart from the causes mentioned above in 1-3, one has to exclude some conditions specific to ladies, like pelvic inflammatory diseases, an unruptured or sealed ectopic pregnancy, etc.
5) To think of some remote possiblilities, some pathological process in upper abdomen can also give rise to pain in the lower abdomen.
Therefore , I will strongly recommend you to get yourself examined by a surgeon/gynaecologist if female. Wishing you a an early recovery.
General & Family Physician Dr. Anuj Dan's  Response
The most common reasons for lower abdomen pain ( right side) are :
urinary tract infection
irritable bowel syndrome
peptic ulcer

as such if the pain is still there, I would recommend you go and see a doctor so that he/she can run some tests or give you a physical and find out the cause. I hope this helped.
General & Family Physician Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 's  Response
Sep 2013
Hi, thanks for the query to H.C.M.

This pain may be due to following reasons.
1. Draw a line extending from upper part of right pelvic bone to mid of pubic area( Mcburney point in medical terms) . Now put your finger from lateral 1/3rd to middle 2/3 rd junction and if you feel excruciating pain due to very less pressure means you have appendicitis. Accompanying symptoms are vomiting, fever , sweating.
2. Right side pain with urination might be due to calculus in in urinary tract system. When there is calculus patient have to pass defecation more frequent but not diarrhea.May be hematuria ( blood in urine) , may not be.
3. Amoebic colitis if right colon is palpable on physical examination.
Please get in blood examination. U/S whole abdomen , stool examination. X ray KUB ( kidney ,ureter bladder).
Have a nice life . Dr. HET