End stage liver disease, cirrhosis. Constant abdominal pain, immobile, leg cramps. Lumpy calf. What is going on?

Hello my sister has advanced End Stage Liver Disease , cirrhosis , and is in severe abdominal pain constantly. As a result she has been mostly immobile for the several weeks now and spends the majority of her time, day and night, sleeping or laying down in her bed. She has recently complained of cramps in her legs and that her hands are tightening into a position as if she is holding a tennis ball. She does have acute ascites which may be causing or contributing to edema in her right leg. I sometimes massage her legs to help relieve some of the cramping however recently her right calf (with pronounced edema) felt very lumpy and mushy such that I could press on a part and an indentation would stay, her calf felt like a bag of mashed potatoes. What is going on here? Thank You.
Asked On : Tue, 13 Nov 2012