Dull pain around ear and temples, jaws are stiff. CT suggests chronic mastoiditis. Middle ear had burst, grommet inserted. Mastoidectomy ?

Hi 6 months back I had a viral ear infection . I had blood filled blisters on my ear drum. Fluid (lot of blood + pus ) got accumulated in my middle ear after those bursted and for that a grommet was inserted after 20 days of the infection. My hearing returned to normal but since then I am having pain in my TMJ region. My grommet was taken out after 2 months of its insertion since my doctor found it unnecessary. My MRI /CT shows minimal fluid in my mastoid. I also had a bone scan and the last phase of it (SPECT) came to be positive. I have been put on IV antibiotics (Piptaz + Oflox) for 3 weeks and then had 3 weeks of oral ciprofloxcin. My MRI after antibiotic shows no fluid in mastoid. Only the last phase of bone scan is still positive. When I asked the nuclear medicine doctor about the report, he told me its just a osteoblastic response and no active infection. He explained that had it been active bone infection (osteomyelitis) it should have come in all the three phases of the scan. He told it takes time for the bone scan to be normal. I have a dull pain around my ear and sometimes this goes to my temple region. My preauricular jaw region is stiff and pains when pressed hard. However I don t have any pus coming out of my ear and my TM is fine according to my ENT. I had a CT scan yesterday which shows subtle soft tissue opacification in posterio-inferior mastoid air cells suggesting chronic mastoiditis. Now I don t have any pain on back of my ear. I wanted to know if I am healing or is there still infection. Also please advice is it time for me to go for mastoidectomy? Please let me know if you require any more information. Thanks, AAAAA
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012