Diagnosed with meniscus tear. Pain in the knee. Surgery needed?

hi my name is tom - saw an orthopedic surgeon and was told i have a menistus tear - he was not that informative - i did not know what questions to ask and my options - after doping a little research on my own i have come up with a number of questions - i think i have a minor tear - since the menistur is a living tissue wil it heal itself - if surgery is recommended what is the procedure - is it repaired - is it removed - please comment - i have only slight pain and am using a hinged brace when working outside - oh yes i am 75 years young - thanks
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013