Confusion on waking from sleep, unaware about surroundings, self. History of gangrene. Causes for symptoms?

yes my husband went to sleep and when i tried to wake him he was confussed and didnt know who or were he was at he also had a 13in cut on his left legg it was 2 1/2 wide and 2 in deep they said he had wet gangren so they took his legg off above the knee he still dont know anything yet sometimes he see me and calls me by name they say all of his organs are fine and working good so can you tell me what i need to know will he come back to himself or not
Asked On : Wed, 18 Jul 2012