Child with persistent dry cough, worsens at night, diagnosed as tonsillitis, prescribed ibuprofen. Will this prove to be effective?

My daughter has a dry persistent cough that worsens at night, keeping the whole family awake! It has just recently become so bad that we barely sleep at all. The only change that has happened lately is that one doctor I took her to diagnosed tonsilitus and put her on ibuprofen . Could this be the worsening cause?? Can you give me some advice on what to do about the cough?? Please!!!
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012