Child with constipation, soft stools and diarrhea. Mucus discharge with reddish spots. Need to be concerned?

My 5 year daughter, who is normally constipated, was struggling with very soft stools and at times diarhhea last week. She was having such urgency issues that she had several accidents during the week. I decided to take her off her favourite beverage - milk- and see if there was any connection (because she had also been complaining of lots of tummy aches during this time). The diarhea and accidents stopped when I took her off the milk so I thought that perhaps I had made a correct guess. Her bowel movements seemed to have hardened and she hadn t really complained about tummy aches. Tonight she urgently ran to the washroom but didn t make it in time. When I went to help her clean up I realized that she in fact hadn t had a bowel movement with fecal content. It was a large amount of mucous (dark yellowy colour) with some light red spots in it (that I automatically thought was blood ). Should we be concerned?
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013