Nine months old infant have fever
for three days and coughing 5 to 6 times per day.
If after giving paracetamol
, ( the medicine you have given ) if the child is active and the temperature comes down atleast for a short while then most probably it is a ordinary fever.
Then look for the following features
1. How is her sleep? Is she able to sleep atleast for a few hours continuously, ?
2. How is her feeding. She should pass urine atleast 3 to 4 times. To that extent she should accept fluids. Not accepting solids is ok.
3. How is her activity?
4. Is there running nose? If so watery or thick. If it is yellow and is lasting for more than 10 days we have to give antibiotics.
5. Regarding cough : if it is dry we can wait. If she is coughing, as if there is phlegm in the chest , decide how severe it is. If she has 4 or 5 strokes while coughing or cough ends in vomiting
or night time cough means it is severe and she needs medical opinion
6. Is her breathing appears faster than usual.? This also calls for medical opinion
7. Is she vomiting spontaneously? ( not when you are force feeding ). Is the spontaneous vomiting green or yellow ( meaning you have to take action ) or just milk or curd ( whence you can wait )
8. How is her urine? Is it painful? Burning? Is she itching the genitals? These point to a possibility of urinary tract
9. How is her motion. Is there blood in the stool ? or is there diarrhea? Blood calls for an antibiotic.
10. Are there any boils
in the skin? Which also requires antibiotics. Are there any red rashes suggesting exanthems like measles?
11. Look at her elbow, wrist , nails knee, ankle and toes. Are there any swelling. Careless nail cutting may lead to pus formation and cause fever
In general viral fevers will be high on the first 4 days and then grandually come down over next 4 days.
If those 11 points are not there we can wait