Child has pain in knee. Dragging feet when walking. Should I go to orthopedic doctor?

My 11-year-old son, who is it a bit gangly and awkward, yet skilled in martial arts is complaining of pain in the right front of his knee next to his patella (right leg). He first started complaining about the pain about a year ago after performing a twisting move in martial arts. The pain supposedly went away after a while but has been coming and going with increased activity. Lately it has been bothering him more frequently and with less activity. I should mention he has always dragged his feet when walking, and sometimes it seems his right foot turns in a bit when walking as well. I am planning to take him in to his doctor but should I go straight to an orthopedic doctor? Is it possible his growth and awkward walking is contributing to the problem or is this an injury that never healed?
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013