Child has continuous fever, relieves temporarily with Motrin, has headache, diarrhea, leg pain, test showed low platelet count. Any suggestions?

My seven year old son has had a fever since Sunday evening. It has been as high as 103.5. It goes down with Motrin, but goes back up when it s wearing off. He had diarrhea on Monday only, he has complained of a headache that was very bad 2 night ago, but nothing since then. He woke up this morning complaining about leg pain and went to bed still complaining about the leg pain. I tested his reflexes in his legs tonight and they were sort of unresponsive. I took him to the doctor on Monday and again today. Today they did a CBC and his platelet count was low. They also did a test called a CPK that I will get the results for tomorrow. They want me to bring him back tomorrow to recheck his platelet count. He also now has a stuffed up nose and glassy eyes. Not sure what s going on, but I m getting scared. Any suggestions? Should I just take him to the ER to be safe?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012