Child has acne, spots on face, painful to touch. What is the reason?

Hi my 9 year old son has just been diagnosed with acne by a dermatologist . He has had persistent spots on his face for about 2 years mostly on his forehead sometimes on his chin or nose. When they come in clusters they are small and not red and do not contain puss infact they don t resemble a typical spot. But then he gets one or sometimes two which are very angry and red and look like they re filled with puss like a big yellow head but red around the edge. These are very hard not like you could pop them and painful to touch. My doctor has tried oral antibiotics, an antifungal cream, antibiotic face washes and referee us to a dermatologist who diagnosed not too sure, he has no black heads, he rarely gets them on his cheeks his hair isn t oily and I associated acne with puberty but she said babies can get acne. Could it be something else?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013