Child had high fever, excessive sleep, later fits. CT scan showed brain swelling. What could have happened?

HELLO,MY NEPHEW OF 1, 1/2 YEAR GOT FEVER LAST WEEK,IT WAS 103 F, WE TOOK HIM TO DOCTOR,WHO GAVE MEDICINES,ON THE THIRD DAY OF FEVER HE WAS SLEEPING WE TRIED TO WAKE HIM UP BUT HE IS AGAIN SLEEPING,WE IMMEDIATELY TOOK HIM TO HOSPITAL WE THE DOCTORS CONDUCTED CT SCAN,IT SHOWED SOME SWELLING ON THE BRAIN,AGAIN THEY TOOK FLUID FROM HIS BACK BONE THE RESULT OF WHICH WAS NEGATIVE, THEN THEY CONDUCTED MRI ON HIS BRAIN IT SHOWED LOT OF SWELLINGS ON THE RIGHT SIDE,IMMEDIATELY AFTER MRI HE GOT FITS SINCE THEN HE IS UNCONCIOUS THE DOCTORS PUT HIM ON A VENTILATOR SO THAT HE CAN BREADTH EASILY,THE CAUSE OF DAMAGE TO THE BRAIN IS STILL UNKNOWN,TODAY THEY REMOVED VENTILATOR AT ABOUT 1400 HRS AND KEPT HIM UNDER OBSERVATION WITHOUT VENTILATOR.NOW THE DOCTORS CALLED ME AND INFORMED THAT AGAIN HE GOT FITS AND THEY ARE PUTTING HIM ON VENTILTOR. I AM STILL CONFUSED WHAT HAPPENED TO MY NEPHEW.KINDLY ADVICE.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013