Child had frequent urination and soreness. Diagnosed as phimosis. Urgent enough for emergency care?

My 6 year old went to urgent care today because he was having to urinate often and feeling like he had to go often but was not producing much each time. He said he was sore. I gave him a warm bath it helped a bit but when going to the bathroom he said it hurt. he was still able to urinate though. When he did the urine test at urgent care (I went there because of the time of day and because I am out of the tree regular doctor visits that my insurance will cover, yet they have unlimited urgent care visits) he had a full cup, but the doctor said he has phimosis and he will need surgery. I will take him of course to the pediatrician and pediatric urinologist but am hoping to God that things can wait til January 1st. Dont think I am a terrible parent. We were in foreclosure last year and hanging on by a thread even now. I just want to know how to tell if it is urgent enough that emergency care is needed. He stopped having discomfort later it wasn t all the time otherwise I would be rushing to a hospital and of course would if he could could not urinate at all, as I said he did at least a cup last time. I just want to see if I can care for him safely until the beginning of January.
Asked On : Thu, 20 Dec 2012