Chest Xray, spot on ribs. Reefered to orthopaedic specialist. Cancer?

My 11 month old son had a chest xray recently and I got a call back from the er saying they noticed a spot on his 3rd left rib. They said cartilage did not form to bone as it should and they are giving us an urgent referral to an to run more tests. I am dying here waiting for the call and I have been searching online for anything at all like she described and nothing comes up except cancer . I know you can t diagnose cancer but is there anything else it could be? The er doctor was concerned.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013