Cherry popped, what does that mean ?

k, i used to think that when people said i popped her cherry or something like that i thought it meant she lost her virginity. but one day my friend told me a story and as the story went on, i realized i had no idea what it meant. i am kinda embarrassed asking that, but its been bothering me. thanks so much for answering.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Dec 2009
It does mean losing your virginity. You were right. It's literally referring to the breaking of the hymen, the small piece of skin over the vaginal opening although, in active girls, this is very often broken long before they lose their virginity.