Carcinoid tumor removal done, scheduled for octreotide scan and EGD. Is there any definitive test for carcinoid/NET tumors?

Hi, thank you in advance for your time. I am asking the question about my husband who recently had a possible carcinoid tumor removed from his stomach about 2 weeks ago. We have since discovered that his gastrin level is 3500, liver panel normal and he is scheduled for an Octreotide scan next week and an EGD/US the following week. I have read some of the posts related to this thread and it appears that the Carcinoid or Gastrinoma tumor diagnosis can be quite confusing and elusive. It started with a vision loss in one eye about 4 weeks ago, labs were done, CBC showed hgb drop from 14.5 to 11.5. He has had a MRI of head, basically neg with minute infarct in one area, so eye Dr. dx with Optic Nerve Inflammation. Only other symptom is significant fatigue. He also has been getting the Vit B12 shots for pernicious anemia for about 10 years. The GI Dr. recommended canceling the Octreotide and instead having an Abdominal MRI on Tuesday. Have you seen this before and it seems that several other people on this previous blog experienced the same thing but no real diagnosis. Is there a definitive test for Carcinoid/NET tumors and or should we be thinking more along the lines of the MEN 1 tumors?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013