Can a hole in your ear drum kill you?

can a hole in the ear drum kill you
Asked On : Tue, 29 Mar 2011
hi welcome to HCM.hole in ear drum causes acute and chronic otitis media,hearing loss and rarely it can spread to brain and cause meningitis.death is very very rare complication.nowadays many varities of treatment options available to treat otitis media so better to get it treated ok.
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum.
The complications of Ruptured Tympanic Membrane are Otitis Media (Middle Ear Infection), Permanent Hearing Loss or the in severe cases infection may spread to the areas of brain and cause seizures.
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
A Perforated Eardrum will rarely cause any fatal complication, probably the risk is less than 0.0000001% (or one in a million) especially since the advent of good antibiotics , diagnostics and nursing care. Yet, rarely, I have seen it proven to lead to fatal meningitis. But such cases have been few and far between, only a few per decade.