Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Can I have a baby if I am suffering with rheumatoid arthritis ?

i am 31 years old and suffering from r.a and taking sulfaslazine and methotrex and have no baby.what is my future
Asked On : Sat, 12 Nov 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.RA is a chronic systemic inflammatory disease,characterized by a symmetrical,deforming.peripheral polyarthritis. For best long term well being you should be constantly be under the supervision of a rheumatologist.With proper DISEASE MODIFYING DRUGS and proper exercises you can get a child and also near normal day to day life.Good luck and thanks.
Answered: Tue, 15 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.
Rheumatoid arthritis itself doesn't seem to harm the developing baby, even if RA is active during pregnancy, but the many drugs for rheumatoid arthritis -- including methotrexate and leflunomide -- can cause birth defects. Therefore, it's important to talk to your doctor about altering treatment several months before you try to get pregnant.
Women with RA take longer to conceive than women without rheumatoid arthritis.
As soon as you're considering starting a family, meet your rheumatologist. Some drugs need a months-long removal period before trying to conceive.
Work With Your Doctor on Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment During Pregnancy.
certain studies have shown that pregnancy usually has a positive effect on rheumatoid arthritis. About 70% to 80% of women experience improvement in their RA symptoms during pregnancy.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.

Answered: Sat, 12 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor