Burning sensation on passing urine, pulling feeling in vagina. UTI? Will nitrofurantoin capsule help?

I am a 34 years mother of a 4 year old. I think I am having UTI as I have a slight burning sensation when I pass urine, and have a pulling feeling in my vagina area. I have cleaned properly after an intercourse on Tuesday night.
But i have drank less water since two days due to change in water. I am planning to take Nitrofurantoin capsules USP 100mg 2 tablets per day for 5 days. Is this correct? Also kindly tell me why does UTI happen and what care we should take for it not to happen.
Thanks inAdvance
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013