Burning after drinking and eating, burping. Can OTC acid reducers be taken?

My 18 year old son who is very healthy and eats well is experiencing symptons like heartburn or acid reflux. A burning when he drinks water and feels like he has food lodged in his chest. He has been burping more. He does not eat a lot of spicy foods, he does drink a lot of milk, protein drinks and exercises and plays baseball daily. He does not get a lot of sleep right now because he is finishing his senior year. He is busy and somewhat stressed. Can I try over the counter acid reducers first or go right to the doctor. We have terrible insurance but I want him to have relief.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013