Blocked teat duct in a eye, thinking of surgery to put stent. Advice?

hello doctor. my son, who is 16, has had a blocked tear duct in 1 eys since he was 2 years old. As I recall, he had a swollen eye lid on that side for a few days, it cleared up, and then the excessive tearing began. It is exacerbated by the wind and cold , but he does tear frequently. I took him to an eye specialist when he was 4 years old and we decided to leave it alone. Now that he is older, it is annoying him, especially when he is playing sports, etc. and we looked into having the surgery to put the stent in the tear duct. We were told that it is not always successful and it would cost about $3-4,ooo. Apparently, it may have to be done a 2nd time, if not successful, but again there are no guarantees. It seems to me from some online research that this type of surgery has a high success rate in children under 2 yrs old, but I cannot seem to get much information for older patients. That is what I am trying to find out now. I am not sure it is worth pursuing the surgery and expense. Can you help me?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012