Bad vaginal itch, on periods, no relief with candida treatment, suggested steroid pomade, history of genital warts. What could be the cause?

I have a vaginal itch , it is bad, and unfortunately I have my period too. I called the doctor, she said she cannot examine me bcs of my period, but said it might be candida and started candida treatment. oral pills and vaginal ovules (ketakonazol). It has been 3 days and my itch is as bad as ever. I called her again and she suggested steroid pomade. But I still have my period and in the past I had genital warts (they were invisible, this the guess of the doctor) and I am reluctant to use steroid pomade. Do you have any suggestions? What can be the cause of that itch?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012