Abdominal swelling, pain, discomfort. Had an umbilical hernia repair. Help?

I had an umbilical hernia repair operation almost a week ago and am experiencing extreme abdominal swelling since the op. My whole tummy has ballooned like I am 5 months pregnant and it feels highly pressurised and uncomfortable, like I am going to burst. How long will this tummy swelling last and why is it caused please as I was expecting swelling (sausage shape around belly button area) but not entire tummy to balloon so huge for so long. I am still passing stools regularly and I am not taking painkillers anymore as I would rather cope with the pain level and not take tablets which may cause more swelling. However, the last 3 days with no tablets has not reduced the swelling.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013