73 year old taking pain killers everyday for knee pain. Is surgery an option?

Hi, my dad is 73 years old and has asked his doctor several times for knee surgery and has been refused as they have said it will only last 10 years and he will need another one later in life. My dad is otherwise very healthy but is severely hindered by painful knees which he takes pain killers for on a daily basis. He still does some work as a builder but finds this extremely difficult due to the pain, he also has difficulty in walking any distance, do you think we should pursue this matter further.
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012