7 weeks pregnant, diagnosed with thyroid, on thyronorm. Prescribed safestart. What is this for ?

Hi....I am seven weeks pregant. I was diagnosed with thyroid in 2009. I have been taking thyronorm 100 mcg. However, four months back increased the dosage to 125 mcg as my tsh readings had risen to 19.24....I did my thyroid test when my pregnancy was confirmed only to find out that my tsh is 8.96. I have now increased my dose to 150 mcg on weekdays and 200 mcg on weekends. My gynaec has also prescribed sefstart....can you please tell me what are these tablets for and if it is important for me to take them. I have to take these tablets only for 15 days.
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012