7 weeks old with open belly button, yellowish discharge. White discharge after treating with silver nitrate. Normal?

hi, doctor

My son is today 7 weeks old, his belly button is still open, we can see a tiny pink ball in it, with some yellow discharge on and off, no bad smell. today we took him to see the PD, PD use silver nitrate treat the belly button. The belly button became dark, after we got home, my son's belly button has some white water like discharge.

I have 2 questions: 1. is this white discharge normal after the silver nitrate treatment? 2. PD also priscribed taro-mopirocin, asking us to use if the area get infefted. my question is how can we tell if the area is infected, since now it becomes dark, we can not see the color.

thank you very much, my email address: YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013