5 yr old has sore throat, constant pain in the ear. Tympanometry says fluid inside ears. Is adenoid, tonsil surgery the only option ?

My child is 5 years and 6 months old now. For a year, he had sore throat every two months and took anti-biotics. In May this year, after constant pain in the ear, the doctor did the Tympanometry test and said there was fluid inside the ears. He gave saline drops and nose sprays. An X-Ray showed enlarged or infectious adenoids . The doctor has suggested surgery to remove adenoids and tonsils. I m reluctant to go for the surgery because I ve heard that the side effects of removing tonsils can be horrendous. Please guide. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Sep 2012