Child got treated for sore throat but developed raspy voice. What is the cause?

ENT Specialist
Question
my 18 mo 9ld dayghter had sore troath three weks ago. she couldnr eat for two days and after that was cleared but she has been left with raspy voice. last week she developed a caugh not barking one just phlegm and the caugh is gone and she still has raspy voice some days less some more. doctors said that her ears are fine chest clear and her troath is alwas slightly XXXXXXX she has no allergies and it is feeding and sleeping well
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: do not worry she will improve Detailed Answer: Hello, You should not worry as she seems to be relieved of her symptoms only the voice is changed. the voice shall improve within few days. She has no fever and cough, she is eating normally and sleeping well, then You should not worry. The only thing to be taken care of is reflux. ie the reflux of food in throat from stomach, which is common in children. If this reflux is taken care of then the throat will heal faster.And voice will improve. Reflux is common in children but we do not notice as children do not complaint as they do not understand. reflux is further more common in children who snore because of adenoid enlargement. Give your child proper diet and do not over feed her, small and multiple feeds are better. Protect from cold. Please reply if you have further query.

Follow-up: Child got treated for sore throat but developed raspy voice. What is the cause? 7 hours later
I just relaised couple of nights ago that she started snoring. I toughr her nose may be blocked and her mouth is open while she sleeps. when I close her mouth she can breath normally thru her nose

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Take precautions Detailed Answer: Hello, She may have an hypertrophied adenoids. You must take care that the child does not put things in mouth so that she gets exposed to less infections. Secondly if you give her any pacifier avoid it. Avoid exposure to cold. You can also put normal saline nasal drops if blockage occurs, but should be put in nose when the child is awake. Thirdly if this continues then you should consult a child specialist or ENT specialist and take a course of antibiotics and decongestants. Adenoids are tonsil behind the nose which get enlarge due to any infection and cause nasal blockage from behind. In doubt do reply.

Follow-up: Child got treated for sore throat but developed raspy voice. What is the cause? 2 hours later
I will take her to ENT the oly thing it takes a long time till you get an appointment. I am bit worried

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: take precautions Detailed Answer: Hello, You should follow the precautions, which I mentioned previously. In addition, put normal saline nose drops in both nostrils when the child is awake ,two drops two times a day. These are the methods that are harmless and they are not medicines. You take ent consultation so that they can advice after seeing the age and weight of the patient. In doubt, do reply.

Follow-up: Child got treated for sore throat but developed raspy voice. What is the cause? 1 hour later
she is 18 mo old and 13.5 kilos

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow previous advice Detailed Answer: Hello, It will be better if you visit consultant at your place. Initially do not just start antibiotics, take the precautions I advised you previously.