35 weeks pregnant have low iron content. What will happen with low iron and how long it will take to recover iron in body ?

I am 35 weeks pregnant and have low iron, my midwife wants me to go into hospital for the day to be put on a drip, i would just like to no what will happen and how long this will take.
Asked On : Wed, 18 May 2011
low iron cause heavy bleeding during delivery also affect fetus growth. so take suppliment oraly or by injectable to recover anaemia.
OBGYN Dr. Nidhi Sharma Chauhan's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic. if your iron levels are low ie u are naemic during pregnancy you need iv iron if the oral preparation is ineffective or ur unable to tolerate the same. the iv iron given these days is iron sucrose. the dose is calculated as per a simple formula so that your body's requirement is met with. plus some amount is added to build up stores . it is then given in doses on alternate days. you can go in the morning to the hospital get the dose for the day and return by the evening. depending oon your dose u will need to go on alternate days for a couple od days. iron sucrose does not cause any major side effects so u can relax n do not have to be admitted.