23 year old having dark skin around the upper lip and chin. Would it be due to the birth control she is using?

My daughter has extrememly dark skin around her mounth. Upper lip and chin are getting darker. One doctor told her it was the type of birth control she was on and changed it. Now he says it should take 6 months for it to go away. It seems to be getting darker even though she is putting lightening cream on it dailly just as he prescribed. I m concerned it could be more. What causes this and how does it go away? She is mortified and only 23 years old. Please help.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013