18 yr old, on birth control pills. Missed pills, having heavy brown bleeding. What to do ?

Hi I am 18 years old and I m taking the birthcontrol pill . I take them everyday at the same time but recently with work I ve missed about 4 days. I started to bleed and I thoughtt or was my period. But it only lasted 4 days. So I took some pregnacy test and they all showed up negative. 2-3 days later I ve started to bleed again but brown and everyday its getting heavier and heavier Ans I need to take my new pack of pills. What should I do?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Sep 2012
The bleeding you are experiencing is due to the hormone imbalance created by the missed pills. If you have had any sexual intercourse later on in the cycle, you are not protected also. Home pregnancy tests, however, can only read well 3-7 days after the missed period. You should therefore get a blood test for pregnancy and follow it up with a clinical exam and a trans-vaginal sonogram. Once pregnancy is excluded, you can start your new pack of pills. You may also need styptics simultaneously to help arrest bleeding faster. Hope this helps.