what would cause high D-dimer in blood tests?

I recently went to the ER with pain in my chest when breathing deeply. They did blood tests and my D-dimer result was .64. They then did a CT which was fine. I am wondering what would cause the high D-dimer. I do have a swollen knee that they diagnosed as bursitis. Would this cause that result?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please specify the full report Detailed Answer: Hi Lehmann, Welcome to HCM. 1) Can you please specify the full report including units and reference limits ( as they vary from place to place and lab to lab) so that we can help. 2) Please also mention if you recently had any mild trauma or muscle injury or intravenous injections or calf pain 3) Did they do cardiac check up? Waiting for the reply.
Follow-up: what would cause high D-dimer in blood tests? 54 minutes later
I did not get a report. The doctor in the ER did a full cardiac check also. The only thing he commented on, with the blood work, was the D-dimer which he said required that he do a CT to rule out any clots. He told me a normal reading for the D-dimer would be .5 and mine was .64. I started a new job last fall that requires a lot of stair climbing. I also work with special needs kids and do some running with them. My knee started hurting about 2 months ago and has been getting progressively worse. There was not one specific injury that I can recall. It is swollen in several spots: above the knee, to the left of the knee cap and to the right of the knee cap. There isn't really any pain when pushing on it, but movement in certain directions and even walking in general can hurt. Steps in particular are quite painful and I try to use the elevator as much as possible. The swelling seems to always be there whether I am resting or moving. The doctor said it was bursitis. He did an xray of my knee and did not see any arthritis, just some bone spurs.
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have very mild elevation Detailed Answer: Hi, You have very mild elevation of d dimers. Not a concern. I can assure, your D dimers can be ignored. Any trauma or sprain over a muscle or bone or joint disease can slightly elevate d dimers. your stair taking muscle stress could have also contributed. So forget about your values and remain happy. (A 5 star rating from you can help us in serving those in need better)
Follow-up: what would cause high D-dimer in blood tests? 8 hours later
Thank you, that gives me great relief. I suppose they had to do the CT because it was slightly elevated, but it gave me a concern. I appreciate your rapid response.
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: all the best. Detailed Answer: Thanks in advance and all the best.