get strange heartbeat and flutter in throat. Smokes all day. All test normal but overweight. Suggest?

hi. i have had a lot of tests on my heart. im 35 yrs old. i smoke but not too much. say around 10 cigarettes per day. i weigh 110k.g but im 6.3 in height with a big build. i have had full blood work. my cholesterol is 4.5. my blood sugar is 3.1 fasting. ive had a ecg. echo cardiogram. echo stress test and cardiac enzyme test on heart. all within 1.5yrs. i get a strange heartbeat or more so flutter in my throat that scares me but my doctor said there is nothing wrong with my heart. not to sure what to think.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 55 minutes later
Dear Sir
1. You have body mass index (a measure of ratio of weight to height) of ~31 which categories you into "obese". You should have your weight ~81 Kg and definitely not more than 88 kg. For good health you must reduce your weight.
2. You must quit smoking as it is associated with almost all cancers of body. It also increases your risk of future heart attacks and paralysis.
3. Your total cholesterol and fasting blood sugar are within normal limits.
4. Regarding your sensation of heart beat or flutter, I would like to know a few more details.
a. For how long it lasts? Does it occur daily?
b. Is it associated with any loss of consciousness/ blackout/vertigo/ unexplained fall?
c. Is it associated with chest pain or shortness of breath?
d. Are you on any anti asthma or anti-cold medication?
e. How much tea/ coffee you have in a typical day?
f. If you have any other medical illness worth mentioning?
I would like to discuss your query in detail once i receive your details.
Follow-up: get strange heartbeat and flutter in throat. Smokes all day. All test normal but overweight. Suggest? 10 hours later
no pain. They last a second or two. They happen on and off . Its not really a shortness of breath but it does take my breath away. I dont drink much tea or coffee. Not sure if there palpitations.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
1. An event lasting for a second or two is not an anginal pain or equivalent. It is not classified as shortness of breath also.
2. Likelihood of palpitation as a cause of your symptoms is high. Most of the short lasting palpitations are "premature contractions" only. The work-up of palpitation involve getting an ECG at the time of palpitation to ascertain the rhythm abnormality at the time of palpitation. Sometime we have to get holter monitoring (24 hour ECG recording) to ascertain the rhythm, if we cannot pick it up on ECG.
Once we get premature contractions on ECG or holter , next step is to get an ECHO done to rule out structural heart disease. You already have got one and it is normal. Premature contractions in the presence of normal heart on ECHO are not life-threatening entities.
3. Palpitations are increased by tea/smoking/ coffee/ stress/ bronchitis/alcohol/ thyroid disorder/ certain type of drugs. If control of these factors, do not give relief, only a single drug can take care of them.
In nutshell, you require to get your rhythm identified at the time of symptoms and proceed as detailed above. This may require "24 hour holter monitoring". It will pick up the abnormality if symptoms occur in those 24 hours.
In the meantime you start with life style modifications as advised. Your physician may choose to give you a trial of drug therapy even if nothing comes out on holter.
Feel free to write if there is anything else. I will be glad to answer.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX