for 2 days I have had dizziness & perhaps vertigo

Neurologist
Question
for 2 days I have had dizziness & perhaps vertigo, occasional nausea, but not throwing up, tired, sleeping 10 hours. symptoms worse when I move my head.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Inner ear origin more likely.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description of dizziness and vertigo which is exacerbated by changing head position, without headache or other focal neurological symptoms I would say that the most likely cause for your symptoms would be an inner ear issue. It is the most common cause of vertigo. Medication like meclizine may be used to alleviate the symptoms.

Of course the main worry in your situation would be that of a stroke. It doesn't look that likely as usually in stroke there are other manifestations like headache, double vision or vision loss, difficulty coordinating movements, speech issues, weakness or numbness of the limbs etc.

In case such symptoms appear should go immediately to the ER. Actually if not improving, given your age which makes you someone at a higher risk of stroke than the average, even in the absence of such symptoms I would consider it prudent to see your primary physician to make sure that there aren't other neurological signs you might have missed.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.