divalproex dr 500mg for a 90 yrs man?

Neurologist
Question
divalproex dr 500mg for a 90 yrs man?
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the purpose, but anyway wouldn't be a first choice.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back to HealthcareMagic.

It is not that clear for what indication do you need to use it. If I understand your correctly you intend to use Divalproex as a sleep aid. If that is indeed the case I am afraid it is not an appropriate choice. Its purpose is not that. It is a drug used for prevention of seizures. It may cause some somnolence as a side effect in some patients, but is not a sedative.

If on the other hand you mean to use it for seizures, it is effective, but I still do not think it would be the best choice, due to possible side effects and interactions with other drugs. More appropriate would be the use of a drug with fewer interactions such as lamotrigine.

I remain at your disposal for other question.